Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Case of the Mondays

I admit it: I love having Mondays off because everyone else is working and I can truly devote my free day to doing absolutely nothing. That is, absolutely nothing involving leaving my room to venture into the cold. I've been researching and sending out e-mails like crazy, but I can't complain about working from my bed while listening to my Radiohead station on Pandora.

I did stumble across an article posted by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) via Twitter. The article comments on the findings of a recent study which states that "Americans have increased their work week by one hour but have lost four hours of leisure time per week." This country, without hesitation, is one of the most overworked. While traveling, I met so many people from around the world (and I'm not talking solely Australians) who were able to take up to three months off from work to travel without a worry about losing their job. My initial reaction was that of jealousy: "Why don't we as Americans get even ONE month of vacation? That's just unfair!" I will say that I did appreciate the fact that there were so many people taking advantage of their ability to travel and explore during their time off. I won't lie - two months of standard vacation is pretty enticing... I would not be opposed to finding a career in an environment that fosters that kind of benefit.

1 comment:

K.Pete said...

I totally agree with you! I wish America gave more PTO time. Luckily for you Australians get heaps.