Monday, April 13, 2009

What Next?

From a young age, by family and friends, we are always asked what our next move will be:

What are your plans for the summer?
What are your plans for after high school?
What are your plans for after college?

It's commonplace to ask these sorts of questions and to be looking toward the future. I have always felt a lot of pressure to have a concrete answer because, damn it, I feel like I should know what I'm doing.

I feel guilty when I don't. I also feel like a freak if the right thing doesn't come out of my mouth. My move abroad "just because" didn't exactly get me the most welcomed of reactions (more like an abundance of confused stares). Obviously, reactions didn't impact my decision, but I'm at a point where I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. At all. In any capacity.

I may be having a freak out, but I do know what I'm going to do next: I'm going to try and enjoy today.

I'm going to practice living in the present because what comes next isn't as important as what comes now. And right now, I'm going to continue my Monday TV on DVD marathon and not feel bad about not reading up on the latest business trends one bit.

3 comments:

nicole antoinette said...

Living in the present vs. freaking the f*ck out about the future. Hello inside of my brain.

Lindsay McHugh said...

Operative word in that sentence is "practice" living in the present... we'll see if I can actually quiet my brain. I'm thinking probably not.

Valerie said...

i keep on living in the future and realize as well that it is not the right solution. I don't want to have regrets and feel like i didn't enjoy any of all the great things happening to me right now... thanks for reminding it to me! it feels good sometimes